Review: E.L.F. Matte Lip Color in "Rich Red"

My first impression on this wasn't so great because the color is almost identical to Sephora's Cream Lip Stain in "Always Red" and it wasn't quite matte, but I finally gave it a full day of no retouching, and I gotta say that it definitely falls on my lipstick must-haves. Read more for an in-depth review!

*Side note: I've actually owned this product in "Praline" for quite a long time now, but the color didn't look flattering on me at all, so I didn't really pay much attention to it and never noticed how great the formulation is.*

Packaging
It comes in a thin, retractable tube and looks much like a lipliner, which is very convenient for application. What's really cool about it is the hidden sharpener at the end, which I just discovered after having "Praline" for months!

Color Payoff and Selection
As I said, the color payoff is a lot like Sephora's Cream Lip Stain (see below), which was quite disappointing because it's like having two of the same thing. However, I don't regret purchasing this as I find it to be much better that Sephora's. It's indeed a "rich red" that's perfect for the holidays, but it's also wearable for summer because of how vibrant it is. The only con I would say with this product is the narrow color selection. They seem to have a lot of muted shades that don't particularly look flattering on me, so I really hope they release more in the future! However, there's nothing really wrong with the selections they have, so I still recommend them. It's just my personal preference to have a more diverse set of colors.


Lasting Power
One of the best things about this product is that it lasts much longer than any lipstick or lip stain I've ever tried. The longest that a lip product lasted on me was about 3-4 hours without reapplication or any touch-ups. This one lasted 7+ hours and still managed to retain most of the original color. The picture below says it all. 

Quality
Sure, it stayed on long enough, but what really won me over is that it didn't clump together in patches at all. I know I raved about Sephora's Cream Lip Stain a little too much, but my main complaint about that one is how patchy it gets only after 2 hours, which actually doesn't make it all that amazing. In fact, all lip products I've tried do the same thing, even with lip stains, so E.L.F.'s is absolutely something I would repurchase incessantly because it doesn't collect the flaky particles on my lips. I know it sounds gross, but I'm sure many of you ladies share the same problem, and this lipstick fixes it!

Formula
I initially complained about this having a more velvety finish rather than a matte, but after several minutes, it loses the shine and actually becomes matte, making it more long-lasting. It's highly pigmented and opaque, so it's definitely more on the bold side rather than a natural everyday wear. It also glides on very smoothly, so I didn't need to put on chapstick because of the already moisturizing texture. 

BOTTOM LINE
This is by far my favorite drugstore lipstick. It's very difficult for me to find one that doesn't clump together in dry patches on my lips, so I find this very impressive especially for $3. I absolutely recommend it to anyone who prefers a matte finish or if you're just starting out with lip products. It also works with dry lips (like mine), which is rare for a matte lipstick as it typically has a very drying formula. I really hope they come out with a new set of colors because I'll definitely purchase them.

I hope you found this review helpful! To get an idea of how it looks on a skin tone like mine, click here for a full picture of me wearing this lipstick!
xoxo,
post signature

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top