DIY Hair Coloring: Ash Blonde to Light Ash Brown


I know what you're thinking... I changed my hair color again? It's only been a little over two weeks with blonde hair and I really did give it a chance, but I just didn't feel like myself for some reason. I even felt more comfortable with purple hair than blonde so that says a lot! Anyway, I did an at-home hair coloring session this time because all I needed to do was tone my hair to a darker shade. My hairdresser, Michelle, already took care of the whole bleaching process which you can learn more about in my previous hair post. If you want to see how I transitioned from blonde to brown, keep reading!


I did quite a bit of research prior to dyeing my hair again because I wanted it to be as fool-proof and as "healthy" as possible unlike back when I used box dyes. I looked up a huge variety of brands and narrowed it down to a list of professionally used developers and dyes. Luckily, Ion is an incredibly affordable one and doesn't contain chemicals as harsh as those found in drugstore box dyes. 
10 Volume Creme Developer
Intensive Shine Demi Permanent Creme Hair Color in 7N Medium Natural Blonde & 7NA Medium Ash Blonde
Since I went down a few shades from about a level 8-9 blonde, I used a 10 Volume Creme Developer which, from my understanding, is a lot more diluted than higher volumes and thus less damaging. I poured 4 oz. of that in a small measuring glass and into the mixing bowl. For the actual hair dyes, I mixed 1 oz. of the Intensive Shine Demi Permanent Creme Hair Color in 7N Medium Natural Blonde and 1 oz. of 7NA Medium Ash Blonde because as advised in the instructions, it's best to have a 1:2 developer-to-dye ratio when toning your hair. Keep in mind that my hair was a very ashy blonde that gradually got lighter after several washes throughout these past two weeks, so using only an ash blonde dye could possibly turn my hair into a murky grayish green, which is why I mixed it with a more neutral blonde just to be extra cautious.  

I also went with a demi-permanent hair dye because it's best suited for going darker and the color lasts through a lot more washes than a semi-permanent one. For a more comprehensive and thorough explanation of the differences among these types of hair dyes, this link covers just about anything you need to know.

After completely saturating my hair with the mixture, I waited about 15-20 minutes until I rinsed it off, then I lathered my favorite purple conditioner all over to preserve the ash tones. The end result turned out to be the perfect light ash brown color that I wanted in the first place and I can't be more satisfied! It's good to be back to a much more natural look because I feel a lot simpler and less high-maintenance. If you're looking for a high-quality brand, I totally recommend Ion which I believe you can find at your local Sally's Beauty Supply. I spent less than $15 on these products and I'd say that's a huge steal considering the incredible quality and results.



Next up: my hair care routine! That post actually won't be up anytime soon since hair care treatments take a very long time to show true effectiveness, but stay tuned for other beauty and fashion bits!

'Til next time.
xoxo,

CONVERSATION

10 comments:

  1. Very good written article. It will be supportive to anyone who utilizes it, including me. Keep doing what you are doing – can’r wait to read more posts.Henna Hair Dye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for walking us through your experience. I love the results!!
    With the 1:2 developer-to-dye ratio, did you mean you took double the amount of hair color than developer, or did you do one part hair color and two parts developer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Your color looks stunning! Great job and thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. ash color

    ReplyDelete
  5. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! signapore best ash color

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. https://thamioliveira19.wixsite.com/my-site/post/what-is-the-reason-for-hair-ash-color

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! ash color salon in sinapore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good article. I did hair coloring at home more than once, but I didn’t always like the result, it was not stable. I've been coming to this barbershop lately and I'm happy with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything you need to know about News is very much important to us.

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top