Time Flies

I created this series a couple of years ago for my final photography project, and I gotta say that it was honestly a struggle. Choosing this particular subject matter came to mind last minute, which I find rather funny because my inspiration for this set was essentially the fact that I was running out of time, but hey, it all worked out! If anything, this is probably my most favorite art project I've done and certainly one that I'm most proud of among all the artistic tasks I've ever engaged in. It may look like complete amateur work to a real photographer's eyes, but I thoroughly enjoyed taking these photos because it was the first time that I've ever felt like a true artist.

I always drew as a kid and tried to keep it up until high school, but I pretty much did it because I felt like I was obligated to since I grew up with artistic siblings - not exactly because I was passionate about it. Although I always thought I had some kind of innate potential to be an artist as far as technicality goes, the older I got, the more I realized and accepted the fact that I just never had that natural creative flow that truly makes someone an artist. However, doing this series gave me that feeling for the first time because for once, I didn't seek inspiration from somewhere else or base it on others' ideas besides my own. 

I know "time" is such a common subject matter and these photos are probably not exceptionally unique or all that captivating, but they are to me because I put in a lot of thought and certainly a great amount of effort into this piece. I truly feel like this series has the capability to make others ponder about such an ordinary yet intricate concept, which I definitely see as an accomplishment. Every aspect of it - from the black background to the composition and the little details - means something and is open to some kind of analysis, and the strange part is that I wasn't aware of it at the time... not until now that I've looked back at it, and I think that's what makes me so proud of this work - for once, I was pouring my ideas into something without even realizing it.

Here are enlarged versions of the individual shots:





All photos were taken by yours truly with a Canon EOS Rebel T1i camera. Best viewed with maximum screen brightness. 


That's all for this little blast from the past. Hopefully, this series gave you something to think about or appreciate because that's all I was really going for. After all, art is supposed to make you feel something.
post signature

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

Back
to top